Sunday, April 20, 2008

ESL, A Window of Opportunity -- By Claudia E. Covarrubias


“Go ahead, take the chance!” That is what I said to myself in the winter of 2002 when I hesitantly stepped into the office of then Fallbrook coordinator Nimoli Madan. As I walked into her office, I was nervous. I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was that I wanted to learn English and go to College but I had no pattern to follow and no way to start my education without somebody guiding me. Like many people in my situation, I felt intimidated because not knowing enough English is very demoralizing. I took a chance and walked into the small dingy off-campus ESL office located in a high school. I walked in, and to my surprise I found a well-spoken and gentle teacher who showed caring and concern. Once I started taking classes I realized that I was amongst a group of teachers who took the effort to encourage me and make me feel comfortable and at ease. This was my first step in the academic world.

I took two semesters of “free” noncredit English-as-a-second-language classes that prepared me and gave me enough confidence to know that I could spend more time learning new skills to prepare for a better career. I gained knowledge and felt like I could take the new world I was living in with poise. After successfully completing my English-as-a-second-language courses, I moved on to take yet another challenge, computers. This time I took advantage of another “free” program, ROP. I learned to use a computer. I took a couple semesters of computer programming given at the same school in Fallbrook where I learned English. Meanwhile I was in the process of gaining my legal status to a permanent residency and felt real happy to know that in the very near future I would be in college. That is when I knew my life was going to take a big turn; a turn for the better.

Like many emigrants that come to the USA to pursue a better life, I felt lucky to be able to better my life with the help of all the wonderful and dedicated people at Palomar College. While attending Palomar College, I became the president of the International Club, where we organized several activities to help foreign students interact with other students and make their college experience a good one. I was also able to work at the ESL computer lab in Escondido as a lab technician/assistant. There, I had a great experience helping people that were in the same situation I was sometime before, learning English and learning to use a computer. Shortly after, I was hired by a civil engineer’s office as an administrative assistant; all of these thanks to the skills learned from the ROP computer classes and of course, ESL classes. These days, I work as a high school bus driver, and just a few weeks ago I was offered the chance to become a trainer, which means a better position and higher salary. Though the job I am doing right now is fun and flexible, I have not changed my mind about pursuing what I really love, more education, and finally a profession that will fulfill my life. Many good things have come out of attending College; besides learning more English, I have also made good friends at a level that I only dreamt of. These are people like my professors, classmates, and tutors who have become part of my circle of friends.

I take this opportunity to thank all of those who were, and are, a part of my Palomar College experience. Thanks to all the coordinators of programs such EOP&S (Ann Stadler), BOGW, and ESL for helping me achieve my goal of earning an AA Degree in Liberal Arts. Among those who I found inspirational and dedicated to students are the following Professors, Nimoli Mandan, Shayla Sivert, Charles Ingham, and Dr. Andrea Bell.

Please keep free programs alive so people like me can dare to dream. With the right help at the right time and with the right support, dreams can come true. I am living proof of this, and I thank all those who helped me achieve what I have today from the bottom of my heart. Thank you.

1 comment:

bluesky said...

A great site for ESL students is AIDtoCHILDREN.com.

AIDtoCHILDREN.com is a dual-purpose site for building an English vocabulary and raising money for under privileged children in the most impoverished places around the world.

Check it out at http://www.aidtochildren.com