Sunday, April 13, 2008

Jorge Villalobos’ Success Story -- in his own words

I started in the noncredit ESL program in beginning level 3 in summer 2000. At first, I did not realize I was in an English class with an American instructor until Sharon, my first English teacher, walked into the classroom greeting everyone in English. In fact, she started saying some phrases I did not understand at all. I remember I only understood “English” and “welcome.” I really wanted to run away and give up my interest in learning English. Nonetheless, the need of learning the language was stronger than my desire to run away. Hence, I stayed in class, bought my first English books, and started my journey in learning English. During my first semester, I learned to write complete yet simple sentences using pronouns and active verbs. I also had the opportunity to go to the computer lab and use Microsoft Word to type in a five-sentence paragraph stating a few aspects about my background. Then I realized that I was able to write in English! I felt very proud of myself. At the end of that semester, I could write and read a paragraph in English. Sharon told me with her very sweet smile I was promoted to go to level 4. I felt very accomplished and proud of myself. My desire to quit school was completely ripped out of my mind.

During the fall 2000, I took the intermediate level 4 class with Jackie Hodges. I began to learn more complex grammar sentences. I had to come up with a longer paragraph using more sentences. I was introduced to transitional phrases and irregular verbs. As a result, I realized there was a huge world of English grammar waiting to challenge me. When I moved to level 5, I began to learn the structure of a five-paragraph essay and more emphasis on pronunciation. Debbie, my instructor encouraged me to work on my pronunciation. While taking the level 5 class, I had the opportunity to attend an open house of the Vocational ESL program [VESL]. There I realized I could start learning about other subjects such as graphic design while learning English. At that point, I decided to pursue a career. Consequently, I opted to go to the VESL program.

During the three semesters I spent in the VESL program, I learned not just English and its grammar but also computer skills such as saving documents and sending e-mail attachments. I even learned how to scan pictures and what a pixel was. I also studied about the graphic communication field and the opportunities such a field offers to those earning a certificate. Thus, I was so enthusiastic about the idea of entering into a new world, the world of graphic design. In deed, Marutte Hecht, my VESL instructor, encouraged me to talk to a counselor who helped me create an educational plan to obtain a certificate of completion in Digital Imaging.

In my last semester in the VESL program, I moved to the morning class which Marty Furch was teaching. Marty played a big role in my career goals. She taught me a great deal of English syntax as well as computer and employment skills. In deed, she offered me to work as a student worker in the ESL computer laboratory. I was so excited about the idea of working at the same school I was taking classes at. In addition, it was a big accomplishment for me to work assisting other students who, like me before, were being introduced to a computer for the first time. I really enjoyed helping fellow students struggling with the mouse and worried because they “accidentally” clicked a wrong button. I believe during the time I started working as a lab assistant, I became aware that I truly liked helping students. Thus, I thought of changing my career goal. In other words, I decided that I wanted to be an English teacher so that I could help others who were going through the same situations while learning a new language as I did.

After graduating from the VESL program, which was my first biggest accomplishment, I took level 6 with Jamila Attoui. Jamila’s role as my teacher was crucial. She, being from another country, was able to learn English very well to the point she could teach it perfectly. She motivated me to work harder until I reach my goal. “Don’t be concerned about your accent. Focus more on speaking correctly and with perfect grammar, so you can compete with a native!” Jamila told me after giving the “good” news about going to the academic program.

Shayla Sivert was my instructor in ESL 101. With her, I learned to deal with punctuation, run-on sentences, comma splices, among other headache-generating grammar rules. Shayla, in fact, motivated me to read more and appreciate literature in English. When taking ESL 102 with Lynne Henson, I had to come up with a five-page essay analyzing an article or a short story in addition to even more complicating grammar rules. There were some cases, when taking grammar quizzes or writing essays, where I had second thoughts about becoming an English teacher. Nonetheless, I remembered the first time when I wanted to run away and didn’t. If I did not quit that time, I was not going to quit at the point where I had achieved more than I had expected.

Finally, when I finished ESL 103, I was ready to go to English 100. That was my second biggest achievement. I had gone through the ESL program and learned so much in that program. I was able to find out what I wanted to be and which ways to take in order to achieve my goal. I am so thankful for not running away from the first of my classes. I am also thankful for all the encouragement and help I received from all my ESL teachers. They have been my biggest role models. I learned so much from them.

Now, I am close to achieving my third biggest goal which is receiving my bachelor’s degree in literature and writing. My next biggest goal is to obtain my master’s degree in literature and writing. I know I will be able to achieve such goals because I have the skills needed to succeed, all thanks to the ESL programs and their amazing instructors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are only as good as the efforts of our students, and you have always been an excellent student. Hats off to you. :)

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read this story about Jorge. As one of the morning instructors of ESL 35, I see Jorge every day and sometimes talk with him about how his current classes are going. However, I never knew his story. What a privilege to read it!

Marutte said...

I just searched for my name just to see what comes up and there is my "honorable" mention in Jorge's story. Boy, am I proud to have had some impact on this young man's success! Thanks! And say "Hi' to your mom!:-D