Sunday, April 6, 2008

Guzman Acevedo’s Success Story -- in his own words


My name is Guzman Acevedo, from Mexico, and I’d like to share my little story at Palomar College. First of all, I arrived in this country in August, 2003. One week later, I enrolled for the fall semester in the evening ESL program.

I began by taking non-credit classes and started in level one, the first step toward something further. I didn’t have any experience in this language, so it was hard to get started. I remember that I was so excited for every new word that I was learning every night. At the end of the semester, I got two awards: one for perfect attendance and one for outstanding achievement. Getting those awards encouraged me to keep going. The next semester, I took level two, and again got a perfect attendance award, and in level three, I got the award for academic achievement.

At this point, I heard about VESL where I could improve my English while learning vocabulary necessary for my career. My goal was to get my electronics certificate because that is what I do for a living, and I wanted to improve my skills for my job because the knowledge I had was very basic. Twelve years before, I had taken an electronics course by mail in Mexico, but it didn’t teach me enough. So in fall, 2005, I took my first credit class—ECHT 100 (Computer Hardware Telecommunication Technician) at Palomar. At this point, my goal was only to get the Electronics Certificate, so in spring, 2006, I took ESL 101, ECHT 20, ECHT 101, ECHT 102, and RCSIS 116, a busy semester for me. In the summer I took ECHT 162 and HE 100; for fall, ECHT 203, ECHT 205, and so on. I received my Certificate of Electronic Computer Hardware/Telecommunication Technician in August, 2007.

In fall, 2007, I took ESL 102 and am currently taking ESL 103, the most advanced ESL course. I’m planning to finish my education as soon as possible, and I am getting closer to my goal with every step. I have a few more classes to take to get my AA degree, and then I plan to go to a university.

When I take a look at what I have learned all this time I’ve been in college, I’m sure that it was worth any sacrifice I made. Now my electronic business is running very well, and I’m able to communicate with colleagues, share experiences that we have in this job, and also understand any information regarding my job. I even started work on computers, in both software and hardware, and that makes me feel great to be able to work on these while I knew nothing about computers when I started at Palomar. Now nothing stops me from improving my life. I’m thankful for all the knowledge I got on this campus because I’m getting the tools that I need to succeed in my life. Special thanks to all my beloved teachers that I’ve had during my learning process, for their patience, for their encouragement when I was down. I know that I still have to keep working to improve what I’ve learned, but I know also that I’m on the way to get where I want to go.

Thanks to Marcel Castillo, Tami Richey, Kevin B., George Hershman, Steve, Mr. Chen, Larry, Silvano, Tracy Fung, Dr. Henson, Joanna Murphy, Colleen Weldele, and to those I forgot to mention, but who were very important in my learning process, thanks to you all.

Sincerely,

Guzman Acevedo

No comments: